Our mission, nourished skin is beautiful skin
Michelle Wu, Earthlings Founder
I started Earthings as an homage to my grandmother. As a 3rd generation naturopath she dedicated her life to helping people achieve wellness holistically. Fortunately I was one of these people…
Growing up I’ve always had troubled skin. I tried every cream imaginable, saw renown dermatologists, and tried everything under the sun. The only thing that would really help were herbal remedies my grandmother made for me. Since then, it’s been my mission to pass on the secret and magic of holistic medicine for the skin.
Our goal at Earthlings is simple, we want to create a more healthy and beautiful world and support you in loving and caring for your skin. We worked tirelessly to create the most balanced, pure, and potent products based on the principles of Traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. Our products promise to not just treat the symptoms but address overall problems in the ecosystem of your skin. With relentless testing and the highest standards, we are happy to share our products with you.
Harnessing the Earth, how our products are made
We put the love in our products through the ingredients we source and time we take to craft each item.
We start by finding the purest ingredients. We use local when possible but travel the world to try and find the best. We test each ingredient for potency and use no dyes or fragrances.
Next, our products are handmade in our studio in Brooklyn. All our serums, soaps, toners, and conditioners are made in small batches and slow churned to preserve the integrity of the ingredients. We use the cold process when making our products to avoid exposing our ingredients to heat that might destroy any nutrients.
The last step is the aging process, where we give the ingredients time to meld and work together. Each bar of soap is cured for 6 weeks. Serums, conditioner, and toners steep in herbs for 3 week, then strained and set to cure for 2 additional weeks at 70 degrees.
Our products are completely cruelty free, testing is only done on ourselves and our pickiest friends and family.
Ingredients, what we use and why we use them
· ALMOND- Almonds are packed with essential fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamin E, magnesium, and calcium. Each of these help to create healthy, supple skin by helping to repair and fortify your cells.
· ALOE VERA- Aloe vera contains two hormones auxin and gibberellins. These hormones provide wound healing and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce skin inflammation.
· BEE POLLEN- Bee Pollen vitamins, minerals, amino acids, phytochemicals, carotenoids, flavonoids and phytosterols. This makes bee pollen excellent for healing and rejuvenating of the skin.
· BENTONITE CLAY- Also called “Healing Clay,” this clay helps regulate sebum production, draws out toxins, exfoliates, and refines pores.
· BERGAMOT- Bergamot is a natural cleanser and helps to unclog pores. It also has antiseptic properties, which help ward off infection and aid recovery.
· BLACK SESAME- Sesame seeds contain omega-3, 6, and 9 which promote hair growth. Sesame seed oil stimulates hair growth by nourishing, conditioning, and promoting healthy follicles.
· BURDOCK ROOT- Burdock root increases circulation in the skin and contains polyphenols that cleanse the blood and surrounding skin tissue.
· CASTOR OIL- Castor oil’s contains ricinoleic acid which increase circulation to the scalp and improve hair growth.
· CHARCOAL- Charcoal draws bacteria, poisons, chemicals, dirt and other micro-particles to the surface of skin, helping you to achieve a flawless complexion and fight acne.
· CINNAMON- Cinnamon stimulates blood vessels and increases blood circulation resulting in a healthier complexion and collagen production. It is also a natural antiseptic.
· CITRIC ACID- Citric acid is a type of AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) that brightens skin, shrinks pores, treats mild acne and corrects dark spots and fine lines.
· COCONUT MILK- Coconut milk has high levels of Vitamin C which helps maintain elasticity and flexibility of skin. It is also rich in copper, and prevents wrinkles, sagging skin and age spots.
· COLLOIDAL SILVER- Colloidal silver is a natural broad-spectrum antibiotic, anti-fungal, and anti-viral.
· CORIANDER- Coriander is extremely rich in folate, antioxidants, vitamin C and beta-carotene.
· CORN- The starches, B vitamins, and amino acids in corn even skin tone and remove impurities.
· EGG- Nutrients in egg yolk deeply hydrates, nourish, and moisturizes dull skin.
· EUCALYPTUS- Eucalyptus oil has anti-septic and anti-inflammatory properties that helps clear blemishes and prevent future breakouts.
· GERANIUM- Geranium oil helps regulate imbalanced hormones, in particular the hormones estrogen, progesterone and insulin are linked to acne flare-ups.
· GIN- The antioxidants in juniper berries improve the elasticity of skin, smoothing out wrinkles, and keeping the cells healthy.
· GINGER- Ginger's antioxidant, gingerol, fights skin-damaging free radicals, lightens scars, promotes smoothness and evenness in skin tone.
· GLYCERIN- As a humectant, glycerin works to moisturize the skin by drawing water from the air into the skin's outer layer. It also forms a protective layer that helps prevent moisture loss.
· GOJI BERRIES- Goji berries are an anti-aging superfood. They contain bioactive polysaccharides, which have substantial antioxidant properties and help firm and tighten skin, while providing extra hydration.
· HEMP OIL- Hemp oil is packed with nutrients and penetrates the skin/hair readily without clogging pores.
· HIMALAYAN SALT- The 84 minerals in Himilayan salt recharges your skin with positive ions and promotes self healing.
· HONEY- Honey contains propolis which reduces pigmentation, boost scollagen, and offer antioxidant protection from environmental aggressors.
· LAVENDER- Lavender speeds up the healing process of skin/blemishes because it improves the formation of scar tissues.
· LEMONGRASS- Lemongrass contains limonene which helps lighten and brighten skin
· MACA ROOT- Maca root is an endocrine adaptogen, meaning it contains the nutrients necessary to support normal hormone production.
· MATCHA- Matcha contains EGCG which counteract the effects of free that can lead to cell and DNA damage.
· MILK- Lactic acid in milk will help reduce pigmentation, heal dry skin, hydrate skin, heal acne
· OPTIPHEN- Optiphen is a liquid, paraben-free and formaldehyde-free preservative.
· OREGANO- The carvacrol compound in oregano oil helps in treating minor skin problems such as acne.
· PANTHENOL- Panthenol is a B vitamin and works by improving effects of hair elasticity, moisture retention and flexibility.
· PEARL- Pearl powder enhances the activity of Superoxide Dismutase (SOD), one of the body’s strongest antioxidant enzymes. It reduces peroxidation, one of the body’s most destructive aging processes.
· RICE- Rice contains ferulic acid, which is a great antioxidant, and allantoin, known for it’s anti-inflammatory properties.
· ROSE HIPS- Rosehip oil is a natural source of omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids, which help repair and regenerate damaged skin while reducing the appearance of scars.
· ROSEMARY- Rosemary is rich in antioxidants like carnosic acid and rosmarinic acid, which protect. It can also rejuvenate skin to a more youthful glow.
· SENNA LEAF- The essential oils, resin and tannin in senna, can alleviate skin inflammation.
· SESAME OIL- Sesame oil promotes hair growth and shine, prevents dandruff, and prevents greying.
· SHEA BUTTER- Shea butter naturally rich in vitamins A, E and F. It provides the skin with essential fatty acids and the nutrients necessary for collagen production.
· SILK- Silk contains the 18 essential and non-essential amino acids. Amino acids help rejuvenate skin resulting in reduced wrinkles and pigmentation.
· SPIRULINA- Spirulina is rich in phytonutrients and carotenoids, they increase skin metabolism and neutralize free radicals and other toxins that cause premature signs of aging.
· TEA TREE OIL- Tea tree oil is great for treating acne because of its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It also calms redness, swelling, and inflammation.
· TURMERIC ROOT- Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin which effectively resolves hyperpigmentation as well as melanin production.
· VODKA- Vodka tightens and brightens the face, it also unclogs pores to give glowing skin
· WALNUT- Walnut oil helps keep the skin moisturized. It nourishes the skin from within, enhancing the growth of healthier and radiant cells.
· WHEATGRASS- Wheatgrass is a superior form of chlorophyll, it detoxifies and calms skin to prevent and combat blemishes.
· XANTHAM GUM- Xanthan gum is a natural emulsifier and has some skin hydrating properties.
· YLANG YLANG- Ylang Ylang has a positive effect on immune health, blood flow and emotions
Sustainability, how we give back to our Earth
We at Earthling's believe that it's a gift and privilege to live on this wonderful planet. The Earth provides for us unendingly and it’s our duty to reciprocate the love and kindness. Here are some of the ways we give back.
As always, its starts with the ingredients. We source as much as possible locally to reduce our carbon foot print and also to stimulate the “slow food” economy. We believe that if the demand is created, the supply will follow.
The 2nd way we support the Earth is by not using anything that’s not recyclable. From the equipment we use, to our packaging, everything is biodegradable and re-useable. The boxes that house our products are made from 100% recycled paper. The amber bottles that we use for our skincare products are not only recyclable, they also can be reused! Just take a coin to scratch off the printing and soon you have a storage solution.
Lastly, we donate 5% of all profits to preserve our national parks so that future generations can enjoy this beautiful planet.