Make your own detoxing self-tanner
The Spring is finally here and it's time to show some skin!
I started experimenting with this recipe because I wanted a healthy sun-kissed glow without all the chemicals. What I ended up with was an easy solution for a natural tan.
2 Tablespoons instant coffee
1/2-1 cup lotion, preferably white and non scented
1) Crush coffee granules into powder with a mortar and pestle, spice grinder, or simply put it in a ziplock bag and pound with rubber mallet.
2) Pour coffee powder into 1/2 cup lotion and stir until dissolved. The mixture should resemble a dark chocolate custard. Mix in additional 1/4 - 1/2 cup of if your skin is more fair.
1) Start with clean, exfoliated skin.
2) Spot test before full application to ensure you have no allergic reactions and the color is right for you. If color is too dark, add more lotion. If color is too light add more coffee to mixture.
3) If you pass the test and like the way the color looks, apply generously in circular motions, taking care to rub in evenly and to be careful of color build up in dry areas like ankles, elbows, knees, fingers
4) Let set for 20 minutes then run dry towel over skin to remove any excess lotion that has not absorbed
4) Voila you are ready!
Very important, please don't wear white until you have showered and you know it won't rub off.
Tan will last 1-7 days and should come off gradually when you shower. Alternatively, this lotion can be used every day in place of your normal moisturizer if you want to keep your tan crisp.