We tested portable infrared saunas, here's what we thought
Saunas, sweat lodges, and bathhouses of some kind have been found in most cultures or centuries. Just this fact alone supports that they must work but lately there have been quite a few studies that prove it's benefits. The most notable is a Finnish study tracking 2,300 men showed that frequent visits to a sauna were associated with lower death rates from cardiovascular disease and stroke. These in addition to the wonderful things it does for your skin makes me the biggest advocate for visiting the sauna, particularly the infrared sauna that has all the following benefits:
- Improves blood circulation.
- Helps to oxygenate tissues.
- May help to reduce cardiovascular risk factors.
- May help to relieve chronic fatigue.
- Provides pain relief to those with back issues, arthritis, sore muscles and joints.
- Promotes recovery after exercise.
- May help to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- Burns about 500 calories (in a 30-minute session), and increases metabolism
- Flushes toxins and heavy metals out of the body.
- Promotes the body’s natural ability to fight infections, bacteria and viruses
- Aids in opening up the nasal passages
- Helps to clear skin of impurities and may help with acne or blemishes.
- Promotes healing and skin regeneration.
Unfortunately, the real benefits only start to roll in after daily use. This meant I had to have one in my home which did not have the space. This is until I discovered that they make a portable infrared sauna as well as a infrared sauna blanket. Here are my thoughts on both:
PORTABLE SAUNA $190 on Amazon
OK, let's be honest. This thing looks really funny and I was skeptical it would work but it does! The set up was super easy and after using it for 15 minutes a day for 2 weeks I do see a difference. The main differences I see are that my skin is more hydrated, I am sleeping better, and I have more energy. I feel and look slightly slimmer but the scale remains the same so it could just be that I am a little dehydrated from the sweating. The cons are mostly with temperature control. Some days it felt too hot and others not hot enough, and also there are certain sections that get hotter than others. For now, I would say to skip this until they get the technology better.
SAUNA BLANKET $300 on Amazon
This one I loved. Firstly, I need to warn you that the one I purchased was 220V and I had to get an adapter to use it. Once you get it working, prepare to sweat! Within 15 minutes of being inside I was dripping. In 2 weeks of using it regularly, I felt my mood get better and my skin became tighter and hydrated. I lost about 2 lbs and noticed my skin tone is better. Although it is missing the experience of going to an actual spa, this product I recommend.